Veterans Memorial Park Plans Events
The Veterans Memorial Park of America (VMPA) has several events planned for the spring and summer of 2023. The schedule is full of activities honoring the services and entertaining the little ones along the way.
• The VMPA will be presenting 'The Easter Story' on Saturday, April 8, at the park. The free event will be from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., and the story will be told in the Never Forget Garden.
There will be games and crafts for the kids, and food and drinks will be served. An Easter egg hunt will be put on in partnership with the Columbus County Partnership for Children. Onsite photography will also be available during the event, and there will be an appearance with the Easter bunny and the Star Farm ice cream truck.
• The Veterans Meal and the dedication ceremony for the Freedom Circle will be on May 26.
• The Freedom Circle is just one of many new additions to the park. The five branches of service flag poles, five monuments for the branches of services, sidewalks, seven smaller circles for WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, and Iraq have been added along with a paved parking lot and driveway. The Veterans Memorial Park of America is still looking for sponsors for one flagpole and four of the military seals.
• Memorial Day, May 29, will feature a ceremony at the park, and the drawing for the winning raffle ticket for a Howa 6.5 CR and a Savage .30-06.
• Orders for the Field of Flags are always available, and the flags will be displayed during patriotic holidays.
• Engraved bricks are still being placed around the Freedom Circle. The bricks can be ordered anytime through the park's website at www.veteransparkofamerica.com. Once enough bricks are ordered, a bulk order will be made by the VMPA.
If you would like to donate, volunteer, or become a sponsor for the VMPA, contact Angela Norris at 910.840.3848. The Veterans Memorial Park of America is located at 6354 James B. White Highway South in Whiteville. Meetings are held every third Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at Dixie Steel Guns and Ammo located at 57 Mercer Road in Chadbourn.