The Good News for March 10
The weather may have its ups and downs, but the one thing you can always count on is the Good News. Log on every Saturday morning to www.columbuscountynews.com to help you make those weekend plans and be sure to catch up on any of the news you've missed this week. No subscription is required, and we never charge to find out what's going on in your area.
What's going on in Columbus
• Shizzy's Wildlife Rescue has two volunteer days set for this month. The nonprofit will need help installing wolf habitats and fencing March 11 and 25, from 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Anyone interested in volunteering can call Rhonda Billeaud at 910.840.1886. Volunteers must be 18 years old or older.
• Whiteville Parks and Recreation is teaming up with Back 2 Blacktop to host Fundamentals 101 basketball camp. The camp will run from March 11 – April 29 every Saturday morning. Children ages 6-11 years old will attend from 9-11:30 a.m., and kids 12-17 years old will hold class from 11:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. The cost is $15 per child, and a free T-shirt will be provided to all participants. The program will take place at 155 Rec Center Drive in Whiteville. Visit https://parksrec.egov.basgov.com/whiteville to register or call 910.642.9052 for more information.
• Southern Farm Days will be held March 17-19. Gates open at 8:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and at 10 a.m. on Sunday. The event will take place at the Boys and Girls Home horse complex in Lake Waccamaw. Visit www.southernfarmdays.com for a complete list of vendors and entertainment.
• Abundant Life Assembly of will have their food bank open on Saturday, March 18, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. The church is located at 5384 James B. White Highway South in Whiteville.
• The Lake Waccamaw Anchorage Camp will be hosting a fundraiser barbecue family dinner
on March 21 to raise funds to spruce up the roller rink. The meals will feed up to a family of four, and the cost will be between $25-30 with the option to add extras for a few dollars more. The spread will include barbecue, coleslaw, and/or baked beans, and 12 rolls.
Pick up will be from 5-7 p.m. at the snack shop of the Anchorage Camp each evening of the event. Payment by cash, check, or card is due at the time of pick up. The camp is located at 412 Lakeshore Drive at
Lake Waccamaw. For more information about either of the events, call 910.646.4111.
• The Get Your Rear in Gear Rams Run 5K event, hosted by SCC and the CRHS, will be held on Saturday, March 25, at 9 a.m. The public is invited to come to the SCC campus, check out the vendors, have fun, and bring their family and friends.
Participation for the 5K is free, but you must register online to do so. Runners may also order T-shirts for the event. Both submissions must be made before Friday, March 10. Click here for full details.
• Tickets are now on sale for the Whiteville Juniorettes Club's annual Princess Day. The event will be held on Sunday afternoon, March 26, from 2-4 p.m. at the Spillway. Bring your little ones and join the Juniorettes for nail painting, coloring, face painting, a meet and greet with your favorite princesses, and much more. The cost is $15 per ticket, and you can get yours by visiting the Whiteville Juniorettes Club Facebook page or by contacting a member.
• Applications for the Kevin Conner Blue Line Legacy Scholarship and the Kevin Connor Memorial Scholarship are now being accepted through March 31. Any students interested in applying for either of the scholarships can do so at https://kevinconnermemorial.org/scholarship/.
Other requirements and submissions for the grants can also be found on the website. The Trooper Kevin Conner Memorial Foundation was established in 2019 in efforts to give back and serve the communities that Conner loved and served.
• The West Whiteville Baptist Church will partner with Crossroads Church to have a community Easter egg hunt on April 1 at 11 a.m. There will be prizes, food, and fun. The church is located at 906 Sunset Avenue in Whiteville.
• As Easter approaches, the Columbus County Parks and Recreation Center is preparing to host community egg hunts at different locations all over the area. Boys and girls up to 12 years of age are invited to join in the fun at any of the free events on Saturday, April 1, at 10 a.m.
Each hunt will be divided into three age divisions; 0-3 years old, 4-7 years old, and ages 8-12. Visit https://www.columbuscountynews.com/post/county-parks-and-rec-host-community-egg-hunts for a complete list of facilities and addresses .
• The Bladen County Veterans and Community Stand Down will be held on Saturday, April 1, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at Elizabethtown Baptist Church. Information on assistance support services will be available to veterans and their families. For more information, contact Leon Grimes at 919.621.8053. The church is located at 1800 West Broad Street.
• Whiteville Parks and Recreation is accepting applications for Dixie Boys Baseball through April 2. Players must turn 13 years old before May 1 to play, and boys whose fifteenth birthday falls on or after May 1 are eligible. Parents must bring a birth certificate with the player at the time of registration. Go to http://parksrec.egov.basgov.com/whiteville to register online.
• New Life Community Church will present the 'I Wonder How Mary Felt' Easter production on Friday, April 7, at 7 p.m. Light refreshments will be served after the play. New Life is located at 107 Maultsby Street in Whiteville.
• The Lake Waccamaw Depot Museum is currently looking for prizes for their Bingo Blast on Tuesday, April 11 at 6:30 p.m. Local crafters, bakers, and artisans are invited to make a contribution to a good cause. Call 910.646.1992 for more information.
• Parade entries for the 2023 Yam Festival are now being accepted. Forms can be located at Forms & Applications. Applications with the appropriate fees need to be mailed to P.O. Box 725, Tabor City, N.C. 28463, or they can be emailed to email@example.com.
• Let us know about your community news, events, happy stories, good deeds, celebrations and church happenings. Photos are always welcome. We never charge to help you spread your Good News. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.