We will bring you Hurricane Ian closings and delays as soon as they become available. Email your closings with a contact number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Columbus County Emergency Operations Center has been activated. If you have any non emergency needs call 910.640.2208. For all emergencies call 911.
• Whiteville city offices will be closed Friday. Fire and police personnel will be on duty. Public works and off duty fire/police will be on standby.
• While trash pickup was on schedule Friday, the county’s recycle stations are closed until Monday due to high winds and the possibility of flooding.
• Columbus Regional has rescheduled its free mammogram and prostate screening events. The Mamma-GLAM party will be Oct. 14. The Tailgate for Prostate at Advanced Urology-Leland is now set for Oct. 28.
• The Republican rally set for Friday night at the Columbus County Fairgrounds will be rescheduled.
• The Jason Soles for sheriff campaign dinner at Vineland Station. Will also be rescheduled.
• All county football games have been rescheduled for tonight (Thursday). Whiteville will face East Columbus in Gator Country at Lake Waccamaw. West Columbus will be at Heide Trask, and South Columbus will be at Pender High. Games start at 7:30.
• Byrdville Freeman Road in Delco has been partially closed due to a drainpipe that the Department of Transportation expects to washout due to the storm. Improvements are underway on the pipe, which may be open before the storm hits.
• The N.C. Yam Festival Scholarship Pageants at South Columbus have rescheduled rehearsal for Oct. 13 at 6 p.m. and the pageant for Oct. 15 starting at 9 a.m.
• The Strawberry Opry set for Friday at Brown Street Station in Chadbourn will be rescheduled.
• The Bolton Pine Tree Festival has been moved to Oct. 29. There will not be any festivities due to inclement weather this weekend. The event will take place at the Bolton Community Park located at
175 Old 211 or 16th Street.
• The Lake Waccamaw Town Hall offices will be closed on Friday, Sept. 30, due to inclement weather. A list of emergency numbers can be found on the Town of Lake Waccamaw Facebook Page.
• Columbus County Schools will be in remote instruction for Friday, Sept. 30. Students will be given assignments through Google Classroom, and teachers will be available for questions through email and the Remind app. After school activities for Thursday afternoon are still on schedule.
• Whiteville City Schools will be closed on Friday, Sept. 30, due to inclement weather.