Local boy in burn center after accident.
A local boy is in UNC Burn Center after sustaining second and third degree burns July 3.
Ryder Faircloth, age seven, was seriously burned after an aerosol can of sunscreen exploded in a trash fire. Ryder is the son of Tabitha Ezzell and Rocky Faircloth, said family friend Charidy Batten.
“They were cleaning up and burning some trash on an old trash pile,” Batten said in an email, “when a sunscreen can exploded.
“Unfortunately Ryder was standing at a distance that the flames hit him and he was immediately caught on fire.”
Batten said Ryder’s mother told her that “she couldn’t even see him for the flames.
“She started pulling his clothing from his body to get the flames off of him and rushed him to Columbus Regional,” Batten said.
Ryder was transported from CRHS to the UNC Burn unit with second degree burns on his face, neck and right arm, with third degree burns on his left arm.
“They have him sedated for now until they run all the proper tests to make sure his lungs are ok and they are keeping an eye on the swelling in his throat,” Batten said.
Ryder loves swimming, baseball, and he collects Hot Wheels cars. The family is at the hospital with him, and Tabitha is providing updates on Facebook.
Batten and others are gearing up to help the family. In addition to a GoFundMe page, Ryder’s supporters are planning a fundraiser Saturday in Chadbourn at the IGA store. Beginning at 9 a.m., volunteers will have baked goods, decals, t-shirts, and bracelets to help support the family. Donations are being sought for a raffle, and a sponsor for custom T-shirts is also needed. All proceeds will go to the family, Batten said.
“This is a time when we all need to pull together and pray and help this family as much as we are able,” Batten said.
Anyone who wants to donate items for a raffle, can personalize T-shirts or would like to make a cash donation can call 625.6528, or contact Charidy Batten on Facebook.
We’ll keep you updated on Ryder’s condition and fundraising efforts at z2j.c7e.myftpupload.com and here on WTXY.