Bandit taken down by fire extinguisher sentenced

Nathaniel McPherson
Nathaniel McPherson

The second home invasion suspect who assaulted a woman and her three-legged dog with a baseball bat – only to be chased away by the woman’s fire extinguisher-wielding husband – will serve 58 to 82 months in prison.

The District Attorney’s office announced Friday afternoon that Nathaniel Keith McPherson was found guilty of assault, violating probation and cruelty to animals. He also received 36 months of supervised probation and six to 17 months suspended sentenced on the cruelty charge. He will also be required to do 200 hours of community service at an animal shelter. The sentence was part of a plea agreement, according to the District Attorney’s office.


McPherson and Tamagea Gilliam broke into a home of an elderly couple and their dog near Cerro Gordo on the night of Jan. 8, 2019, according to sheriff’s reports and the district attorney’s office. The female victim was in her bedroom and went to investigate a noise. When she saw the two suspects, she told them to leave or she would get her firearm. The men – who were wearing hoodies and had their faces covered — then assaulted her and her three-legged dog with a baseball bat. The dog survived its injuries. 

The woman’s husband, who was in the living room, then used a fire extinguisher to defend his wife from the home invaders. The two men escaped on foot, but deputies were able to identify and arrest both men later that night. Propellant from the fire extinguisher weas found on McPherson’s shoes, according to the court.

Tamagua Gilliam

Gilliam was sentenced in January. He is serving a seven year, five month sentence for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, felony breaking and entering, robbery with a dangerous weapon, and cruelty to animals.

The men lived near the victim at the time of the assault, according to sheriff’s reports from the time.

McPherson was back in the news this summer, when on Aug. 5, then again on Aug. 24, he allegedly damaged sprinkler heads at the County Detention Center, setting off a fire alarm and damaging the building. 

The state was represented by Assistant District Attorney Allan Adams and victim witness coordinator Tammi Collin. Detective Scott Norris with the Columbus County Sheriff’s Office lead the investigation.


    Lisa DeRush of Columbus County Disaster Response

    On this edition of “The Columbus Connection”, Jefferson’s in-studio guest is Marcia DeRush of Columbus County Disaster Response, who will talk about the upcoming “Hurricane Expo” at the Columbus County Fairgrounds on Saturday, June 10th [Read More]
  • VBS6
    Church News

    VBS Guide for Summer 2023

    As schools close for the summer, Columbus County churches are setting up for their Vacation Bible Schools, From the eastern end to the west, there are plenty of opportunities for children and their families to [Read More]
  • Front Page

    The Good News June 3

    Dry weather and partly cloudy skies will make for a nice weekend in Columbus County. Get out and enjoy some of the events happening on Saturday. Be sure to log onto for absolutely free [Read More]
  • Front Page

    Stomach Bug Closes Hallsboro-Artesia

    Hallsboro Artesia Elementary School closed at 12:15 p.m. today, and will remain closed tomorrow due to an outbreak of a stomach virus. The county school system made the announcement this morning shortly before noon. Classes [Read More]
  • Front Page

    Mom’s Friend Charged in Murder Case

    The reported boyfriend of the mother of a woman found dead in April has been arrested. Brandon Wayne Mincey, 41, of Country Village Estates, Hallsboro, is being held under $750,000 secured bond. He faces one [Read More]
About Jefferson Weaver 1386 Articles
Jefferson Weaver is the Managing Editor of Columbus County News and the News Director for WTXY AM1540 & Kool 103.9FM Radio. He can be reached at (910) 632-4965, or by email at